DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

I have an A Series engine  that has a breathing issue , like its blowing oil out through the sump end seal gaskets both ends , at some time someone has used an unvented timing chain cover , I now have fitted an oil catch tank and vented the sump the where the mechanical fuel pump was piped to the tank also vented the rocker box cover , Unknown to me at the time the original Sprite engine was replaced with a block from an early  Morris bloody Marina unit  !!! ,they ran a closed breather system which fed back into the air filter however I cant do that with a side draught Dellorto . Now my question is should I put a PCV valve into the pipework to the catchtank

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Daryl,

If you're not using the PCV system then the valve won't work as they usually require manifold vacuunm to stay open. I guess the problem you have is the sprite would have had removable 'tappet' chest covers and one usually had a breather stub on it. The Marina block is stronger than previous because they deleted the above mentioned covers. Add a breather to the timing case cover - some A35's and Moggie minors had these I believe and also use the mech pump position if you are not using the mech pump. With another breather on the rocker box feed all these into a catch tank with a large opening. If you use a sealed catch can then make sure there is a large exit pipe and don't use one of those silly k&n type catch tank breathers as they just block any airflow and your back to oil blowing out of every gap or orifice it can find.

Thanks BV I will give it a whirl , the rate it was pushing out oil was staggering 

Well the A Series runs a treat now with no  forced oil leaks , had to put a new  rad on because the original leaked once  up to temp  

Result.

What was the cure?

Crankcase and rocker cover breathers 

Glad you got it sorted

RSS

© 2018   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service