DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

one of the car with hard top.....

and one with the soft top.....

the phaeton is still in my drive and it really really has to go.......ebay this week some time i think.

as for the Legerra, well it has given me some fun and games, first it boils up like a kettle....er well it did it now has a much larger radiator and some ducting on the radiator. it seems to make a difference.

the car goes quite well but it did have a hot staring issue which turns out to be a duff ballast resistor even though the car has electronic ignition. easy to fix and the car now starts hot reliably.

the suspension is very stiff and it will be softened up a bit, but the car handles quite well.

it has a MG miget dash in the car and i feel it really suits the car....more pictures later

Views: 2835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

dont know but i will check tomorrow.

I jacked my body up in the end took a while but got it high enough to pull the chassis out. Three of us thought we could lift it but it was to heavy to lift up and over the chassis.

Dave.

Once you cut out the old mounting lugs you will be left with the main cross brace. A section of that needs to be removed to allow the leg on the type 9 to fit. If you look at the photo's of mine you can see how much I cut away and also the new cross brace I fitted (in the wrong place) to replace it. 

IF you replaced this bit with a bolt on thick flat plate it would probably be stronger than the original box. It would be aggro making connecting brackets and sleeving the existing chassis box to hold it but would make life so much easier with a minimum of body contact problems.

a decision has to be made.......do i struggle with the Legerra or can it for a while?

The Legerra to be the way i want it needs the front suspension finishing, (for geometry.....its out ) the chassis rail strengthening needs a little welding to finish, the gearbox mounts need drastic altering, the engine mounts need moving, the heater needs to be replaced and the demisters fixing. the roof leaks both the hard top and soft top the radiator needs changing and new mounts making, the boot lid needs repair the fuel tank wants fitting in a new location and if i go for the injection engine it will need modifying further. it needs a custom exaust making etc etc...oh and the car also needs a rewire. the body may well need to come off and for that i think i will need a second "A" frame and ratchet winch plus a dolly to move the body when its lifted off the chassis........which i will lift with the doors and hard top in place to aid body stiffness.

Oh and a big can of enthusiasm which is in very short supply round here just now....

so it will come out of my garage and get covered up in tarps and the S1 Phaeton will replace it. the S1 is complete having every thing i need to get it sorted including a set of wheels with new tyres. And both a hard top and new soft top new screen. on the plus side all of the storage space i need to store the Legerra bits is currently being used by the dismantled Phaeton, which once built will give me back my big shed (12 feet by 8 feet...) the Phaeton will probably get the 1800 zetec and once i have done that conversion i can then tackle the Legerra with more confidence.....or i could use the pinto.. ;-) who knows?

I like the Legerra but i want it right.......and have confidence it will be safe and up to use for long distance touring....(Italy ...Rome is on the cards.....) The Phaeton is an easier prospect (having done two before) and will free up a lot of space for me to use for the Legerra.

there are some details of the work i have done to my Legerra to sort out the front end.......it may be of help to Scott Grimson......Or not :-)

obviously start at the beginning of my Legerra posts.......

Thanks Dave, enjoyed that read, what stage are you at with it now?  

Pretty much as I left it here.....

It's my next project. 1.8 zetec and 5 speed to fit (sat in my garage right now)

It'll get rewired and some work to the dash/ demisters.

Also the roof leak like a seive at the windscreen roof door meet.

It could use a bigger fuel tank.

Mines having a 1.8 zetec too, engine and box are in, had to cut some bits out of the tunnel but all glassed back together now.

its my intention to keep the ford inlet system....that may mean moving the steering column.....it might also involve some er....creative manifold making as the throttle body points upwards....we'll see.

after some 3=4 years project Legerra is restarted......

well.....before i make a real start... i need a type 9 Bell housing.

anyone got one up for grabs?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service