DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

I put up a thread about problems i was having with the car a few months ago which can be found under my post 

Any help on getting the engine running smoothly???

Hi - I need some help again with a problem I have with my Phaeton. All was going well after i fixed the carb problems but recently i have discovered a further fault. It was running ok for a short time but then I took it out for a short run on boxing day and it started to splutter and eventually cut out on me. It refused to start again and I ended up getting towed home. I have since then had no luck getting it to start since. There is a strong spark at each of the plugs 9 checked by holding each one out against the rocker cover and turning the engine over). There is also fuel getting through as the plugs are wet after turning the engine over. The timing is still set good and nothing appears to have slipped. So i am at a loss as to why the engine spins over, there is a spark and fuel - so why won't it fire up anymore? Any help greatkly appreciated.

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We squirted a lot of fresh fuel directly into the carb as we were turning the engine over and when it did run the engine was only firing on 1 or 2. Will do the fresh fuel thing and have a look at the baseline settings for the timing - the setting is in there somewhere!!!

I just had a look at the position of the distributor and the relation with the rotor arm and found the red sensor on the distributor was 180 degrees off from lead 1.I am now setting the rotor arm to point at the sensor when the engine is at tdc and making sure the distributor cap is lined up with lead 1 at this position. I am sure I am getting somewhere now.

Start with TDC, check camshaft position - crank rotates twice for every turn of the cam. (this may be rubbish thinking about it but you do need to check the cam timing is correct) 

If the crank and cam are pointing at the markers THEN you can set the dizzy.

Its 180 degrees out  as Ade says , Take  the cam cover off to be certain both valves are closed on number 1 cylinder before setting timing

Getting a new high power coil delivered this week as the spark seemed almost non existent - hopefully will start again on Sunday - fingers crossed.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service