DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

This looks like a great site. I am having a problem. The engine is out of a Hillman Hunter. The engine idles just fine but when the gas pedal is pressed the engine dies.  I replaced the fuel pump but it did not help. I took the top off of the carb but it looks just fine. Any suggestions? 

Views: 321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just took the top off of the carb and noticed there is no oil under the cap. Could this be the problem?  Also what type of fluid do I need to put in it. Would brake fluid work?

NO! Not brake fluid. Light machine oil is best, over here it's called 3in1oil. See after you have put oil in if the improves the running.
Looks like you call it 3in 1 oil as it was invented in New Jersey.

Thanks for the information! You guys are great! I am a member of the Dutton Ownersw Club but it seems less people use their forum these days. I am amazed all the replies from you guys. I am going to get the oil and I will reply l after I I put it in. 

I would bet that once you have put oil in the dash pot, it will be fine, the info says to use engine oil  if you cant get 3 in 1  you can use 10/ 40 oil 

why dont you fit twin 40 dcoe from thep hunter gls as an upgrade

Most of us here are DOC members a fair few are committee members as well........

Well, I put oil into the carb but it did not help. I have noticed the engine will rev up when the choke is pulled all the way out.  To me that would indicate the air is being sucked in somewhere. Do you think it is the carb? If I pull the carb and break it down will I need new gaskets or maybe use liquid gasket replacement? I do not think I can find replacement gaskets for a Stromberg over here.

I would advice  getting an overhaul kit for the stromberg and new manifold gasket for the inlet manifold. going by what you say. its either an air leak, or possible needle not sittting right  i dont know how readily Su's are in florida, but as Steve sayes most this side of the pond ditch strombergs for Su's  to echo Daves comment, yes some of us are committee members , myself  being one.  

OK, Things are getting weird now. I disconnected the cables and started to remove the bolts on the carb. I then decided to try starting it one more time. Well it is now running just fine. How could that happen and will it just die on me out on the road?

what cables did you remove? is it possible that something was not adjusted right, either the choke being open so that it ran rich, choking the engine? doesnt the choke raise the needle on a cam?   how long ago did it start to play up and was it all of a sudden,  ie possible foreign object? 

When I was having problems I noticed the it would operate a little better with the choke fully applied. I had every cable disconnected and both of the connecting bolts loosened when I tried it out and got it running. I have hooked everything back up and drove it around the block. It ran just fine. I'm just a little afraid that it will die again. I was driving down a street and it just died on me when I originally had the problem so that may happen again. This is the only car I have now. I needed cataract surgery so it was either sell my truck or the Dutton for cash. I chose to keep the old girl and now she is messing with my head.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service