DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

was thinking about the cost of a engine rebuild for my crossflow. so i contacted we rebuild any engine. i was just curios. so for me to remove, deliver, and then refit my engine. full rebuild....what do you think they quoted me...?

Views: 756

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

well they quoted me a grand...wtf.   i think that is ridiculous. bearing in mind that the engine is fine..

I'm not surprised at £1K for a rebuild. It only seems steep because, as Dutton owners, we think cheap. If it was a real car - a modern tin top, then it costs nearly that much just to change the clutch, let alone actually work on the engine.

The only problem with paying £1K for a rebuild is that you know that you would never get it back if you decide to sell the car because people won't pay much extra for it over a ropey old shagged out unit. But that is how it is with cars.

If you worry too much about the money then the only sensible thing to do is to break the car and sell the bits. But that is the wrong way to look at it. My son has a BMW 435, it costs him £500 a month and it loses another £800 a month in depreciation. So if it will improve your enjoyment of the car then spend the money, if not then don't.

sensible comments gents. when i was a trainee mechanic their was bugger all money in it. now their seams to be loads of cash in the job......£1400 for a clutch...omg id sell it. or would have never bought it in the first place....what warrents that kind of money daryl...?

And thats the reason I refuse to own a car I can't fix in the drive. Labour cost is a huge factor in garage prices these days. Even a 2002 Mondeo clutch (the dual mass one) will set you back £800+ fitted and thats mates rates.

ridiculous prices.. oh no im starting to like leggys.....you was right about duttonds adrian.. is that blue one still on ebay...lol

4wd system what the hell is in that thing....?  whats the redheads like car i mean...lol

are i see....and omg can she. phone number pls..lol

No, but I do have a copy of the advert and there might be a phone number :)

Standard procedure is to have a Sierra as a second for doing those runs to the shops (as you don't have a boot) and other menial tasks. Tax exempt is a bonus although these days you may be looking at a Q plate if the DVSA pass the new rules.

I still have the white leggy which is/will be for sale but it would take a brave man to start on in its current condition unless you are familiar with what goes under it.

i could really use a sierra with my job....joinery/decorator/gardener/ handyman. and a leggy for winter...omg the wife is going to go nuts....time to start hiding money..lol. what does the white leggy need..roughley,,,,?

Nothing less than a body off rebuild. Its been sat in a shed for 22 years and all the rubber is perished. Bolts, bushes and bloody hard work.

mmm not for me that one adrian.  do you have a number for the blue leggy that was on ebay for ages..

My Sprint engine cost about £500 in parts and engineering work. But when you add up my man hours and give it my hourly rate, it's frightening. I was attempting to blueprint the engine, and everything took a lot longer, weighing, filing, balancing,  I am scared to work out how much the B+ and the Sierra has swallowed from my wallet, but any hobby nowadays cost money. I like your ethos Ade, can't fix it, don't own it, very good.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service