DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

when i get round to taking my car to bits this year (now the Quantum is on the road) I have been wondering what to do about the front end of the car, especially as the headlights are knackered and need replacing. To be honest i have seen very few cycle guard modifications that look good on Phaetons because of the shape and height of the bonnet and nose cone.

But i am thinking of cutting out the headlight pods completely and making the mud guard look as if they were never there. and buying some HID projector lamps and making some holders, either both sides of the nose cone or inside the grille area, hidden. OR making some eye shaped pods to sit on the mudguards for the smaller lamps, what do you lot think?

Views: 450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

these are all the sort of problems i have been through, the dominator lights look a possibility and i have seen them all over. there is the mini projector lights to consider as well,

http://furoreproducts.co.uk/projector-headlights/39-combined-dip-ma...

and these look a much more viable option. as for lighting, i don't drive too often in the dark and the long journeys are done in the summer time.

These are a real possibility as well, and cheaper to boot

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOGGLE-SPORT-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-HOTROD-KITCAR...

these are also a real possibility, as i say i have been busy looking at various options.

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/lights_head.html

When I bought my Angel eye lamps last year it stated that these where not bike headlamps and are MOT-able. When I asked the guy why, it was because modern bike lamps don't dip unless you fit 2 and off set one. Dave you could be back to the rule book.

Might be wrong but worth checking before cutting.

Headlights;
The requirement is for dip beam, a car must have two. They must be a minimum of 500mm from the center of the lens to the road and the outer edge of the lens nearest the side of the car must be less than 400mm from that side.
Main beam can share the same light unit OR be separate lights, there are NO positional requirements for the main beam lights, only that they are not outboard of the dip beams.
You can only have 2 dip beam lights, you may have multiple main beams.

Dave Adams said:
Headlights;
You only need "E" marked lights on car after, I think the mid 1980's dip beam can be flat or dip to the left. You can use beam correctors for the MOT.

I have been busy today and made a start on loosing the head light pods,

first one cut out,

I have glassed the hole from underneath,

This was how i got the basic shape, some very thin plywood pop riveted to the wing tops and fibre glassed from the underneath,

Makes the car look much lower at the front i think, i will post more pictures as it progresses.

Well..thats a start, but what lights have you gone for or do we have to wait :)
I quite like the oval MEV rocket lights and it may be them......or the goggle figure of 8 lights.

A progress report

almost there....

and one of the wing.....

and a mock up of the headlights (made from some small hammerite tins), they are about the right position to be legal (well the right one is about perfect)

well????

not much bigger and if i can afford it they will be smaller.....

This Malaga B+ that belongs to one of our German Dutton Owners has the style of head lights that i have been looking at and they are mounted at about the same height as would be legal here in the UK.

Failing that the mini "projector" headlamps look a good option.

I like the positioning but not the elongated oval 'eye' shape.I think a quad setup would look better.

here are the lights i am going to order, they are £19 each and i think will look quite good. I have mocked them up onto the picture above to give you an idea.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service