DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a picture and it shows the numberplate. I bought it without v5 but the guy did say he tried but failed to find the chassis number.....I did....and it got inspected very quickly and that one fact means that the DVLA have said they will give me a log book. They only stipulate that the car be completed and ready for the road. Then they will issue a log book without another inspection.
Because I found the chassis number I never believed there would be any issues with getting the car back on the road. I said as much at the time.
Well you can ask your " friend" to come out to the front an have a word in person if you want cos that's where I will be !
They have closed the local offices but still have a small counter section in the main dvla building in Morriston an I'm back in wales on Monday cos we are off on holiday on tue
I don't believe I did say they need pictures of the car as sole proof,lot of things they wanted
On the paperwork sent out there are several things that are requested,photos being a small part of it
Photos are useful in some parts thou,like when you have a picture in 78,another in 99 an then another in 2016 showing a car with wolfrace slotmags (rare wheels nowadays and I'm soooooooo glad they didn't sell when I offered them on ebay the other year !!!
Only a small piece but it all helps,as I said thou nothings ever appeared on here doesn't mean it isn't well documented
I have EVERY sales brochure ever produced
Sales video
Company reports from Dutton cars through the years
Nearly every Dutton torque produced
Details from the very beginning of the club records of nearly 3000 cars
I document a LOT of stuff and am just as meticulous with my own cars,fact I don't share it it my buissness
P.s when I initially spoke to dvla the lady said they would want to inspect the car
Thought that was what the letter was about
Wether this is a pre curser to a visit and to confirm they aren't going to be wasting their time ?
Not bothered,send my paperwork in and wait
There is a picture and it does have a number plate but can't read due to flash
Little clue for you thou,the car in question is RED,totally red even the Ali side panels !! Its been red from the day it was registered and as stated on the v5
DVLA might be stupid they aren't colour blind

you must be though Rob my car is clearly red......its red gellcoat sprayed over in a white primer....

your car red from the day it was registered ? Dvla tell me it had a colour change and owner change the last time it changed hands..... from ****** to red....that came about because i said i would like it to be another colour........but since it was red i would leave it red.....Your mate must be the colour blind one if he registered it a different colour when he built it.

The DVLA told me at the time of its inspection that the car was correct for colour, and design (he came from the office with some printed off pictures of Duttons), he also knew where the chassis  number should be stamped and went straight to it.

Also for some one who insists he is always so meticulous with paper work etc ....where in my statement above did i say i found your chassis number on my car? i didn't! what i said was i found a chassis number. i have always claimed i found a unique chassis number, i have reported on here that my cars chassis number was different from the records. You are the one making an issue out of claiming a V5 for a car you own, i don’t have the problem, my car has been inspected and found to be fully legal and age appropriate, and more importantly has a legal V5.I have met you at Stoneleigh Rob and i thought you were a decent sort of guy.......first impressions are often wrong, are you going to disappoint me here on a public forum?

Dont mistake statements here on my forum thread as things i necessarily agree with or condone if they are not made by me......i may agree with them i may not.

I have to say there is a little hysteria over this issue My car may not or may well be the legal holder of TTW770R yours is sounding as equally unlikely. I DONT CARE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER!

I have restored my car in the full knowledge of the DVLA after they were satisfied it was a genuine age appropriate Dutton Phaeton. i was always under the impression it would get an age related registration. They decided this year to award me the registration on the car when i bought it....their mistake (if any has been made) not mine.

YOU DID NOT FIND MY CHASSIS NUMBER ON THAT WHITE CAR - fact !
You might of found "a" chassis number on that car,possibly the original one for the car or one that's been " invented" by someone you certainly didn't find my chassis number that's on my v5
Not unless your the worlds best physic ??? If you are can I have next weeks lottery numbers please

been invented?

how likely is it that i could randomly pick a dutton chassis number out of the aether that turns out to be unique and never before registered? out of perhaps 6000 cars estimated to have made it to the road.......

my cars not white....its red. its white primer over a red gellcoat. it also has lichen growing on it i dont claim its colour is lichen either.

I have never claimed anywhere to have found "your " Chassis number stamped on my car...you alone are claiming that. i said i found a chassis number and that matched the registration plate......all very remarkable dont you think? for a car that you have never owned?

the DVLA wont tell you the chassis number for a registration, you have to tell them. the odds of me guessing the chassis number for the registration are worse than the lottery, but to then guess a unique number before it is so unlikely as winning the lottery two weeks on the trot.

please explain to me how exactly my car had the number plate it did how it has a unique chassis number and how i found the chassis number for the car that matched the reg? I dont care about the actual registration number, just that it has one. But how do i know all the details of a car you allege to still own if you tell no one what cars you own?

i have stated somewhere that the DVLA only decided to issue the registration once i was able to tell them the chassis number. the club never had "your" chassis number in its records, it had the reg and it had my chassis number but even those were not matched as a pair when i bought the car. they now have my chassis number and "your" chassis number and for the moment the one reg. when my new log book arrives it will update the club records so when or if i sell the car the next owner can trace its history.

I also have never claimed to own your car.....i own mine.

I alone, are not making an issue of my cars registration i am just happy that my 4 years restoration are not going to waste and my car is soon to be on the road..... you are the one squealing like a stuck pig, i am under the impression that the issue has long been resolved. My car is and will be fully legal.

To paraphrase i believe Shakespeare " My lord the man doth protest too much"

@ Rob - The Dutton production number was on the car, it also had a number plate. These facts were accepted by the DVLA appointed inspector. The DVLA then failed 'due dilligence' in requesting information from you before issuing a V5 to Dave, Its not Dave's fault.

As I said about three weeks ago, arguing about it on a public forum is not helping anyone. It would be the gentlemanly thing to offer to assist a fellow club member to resolve the issue amicably. Back each other up, work out what happened to the cars and why. Then go to the DVLA with a united case to get both cars legally back on the road.

Of course none of this would have happened if you had exercised more care in the parts you sold or if you had informed Mark of the vehicle details back when you purchased/sold it. 

Differentnt chassis numbers...same number plates. ...Rob says he sold his bonnet to the guy who used to own my car as he needed one and Robs car was a slow restoration. He also claims his car either lost or never had the chassis number on the chassis....
"my" chassis number is not one I have invented or found it is the chassis number the car was registered with in 1977
It has been in the dvla data base for 39 years !!!
With a tracable lineage through the 3 owners
The fact you have my old bonnet and a new number you have found on your car and managed to persuade an expert who has come armed with a picture of a phaeton that it really is that car shows what a joke it is
You,Ade,Daryl can say what you want but I along with the dvla are the only people who know the original chassis number that the car was registered with,what Dutton stamped on a car is another thing
Not hard to think up or invent Dutton chassis number
Not all cars are registers using the Dutton sequential system,back in the day before the 17 digit system came our people could put what they wanted as a chassis number

Rob, I've had experience of people using VIN's made from all sorts of letters and numbers and as you said if thats what it's registered as then it will stick. The majority of Dutton's registered before the 17 digit rule are done under the factory production number or as the VIN from the donor vehicle.

I'm not trying to get involved, in fact I'm trying NOT to get involved :) Just saying all this 'discussion' on a public forum casts a shadow which covers all of us. Having an 'i'm all right Jack' attitude towards these things isn't the best way to go about it.

@Dave please stop trying to muddy the waters
At no point in this discussion have I claimed my car has "either lost or never had the chassis number on the chassis"
Got my car,v5 an chassis number,nothing has been lost only a bonnet sold
I did not sell my bonnet due to mine being a slow restoration as you suggested either !
The original owner was rear ended and bought a brand new rear end from the factory
I acquired the last spare bonnet ever produced by the factory ,that's why I sold the bonnet so the car had brand new bodywork front and rear
If dvla claim the car has had a colour change at the last change of keeper then god help us they cant even get that right
Car was red from the factory,was red when it was delivered to its second owner (an I know cos i was there on the day) and it was still red when I got it and its listed as red on the v5 I got in 99 ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service