DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No not yet but a soaking with tank sealer will be on the cards....i am also going to pressure test it.
This year.....but when i am not sure....just bought another mt75 box and a new...ish engine stand for £75 the pair. Also been offered a near new engine crane 1ton capacity cheap if anyone is wanting one.
Done a bit of wheeling and dealing and ended up with a new engine crane (clarke 1 ton) in as new condition used once.....only i have one already....anyone looking for an engine crane?

Looks like I maybe, mines gone walkabout ! But being the other end of the country could mean cheaper to buy one down 'ere then ship it down :-(

I will ask my friendly courier for you.....

spent a fair chunk of the day welding all the pin holes in my tank ;-(

but i am fairly convinced it is now fuel tight.......it is still going to get a tank sealer on the inside, as insurance.

i have used some exhaust pipe for the filler pipe and it will need a short piece of rubber hose to connect tp the filler pipe.

i have fitted a vent pipe to the top middle.......the ford one wanted a big hole drilling.....asking for trouble.

as you can see it has the ford fuel pump fitted.......so it should be easy to maintain.

slightly early finish today (only 11 hours) so a bit more done....

this time the fuel filler pipe (from a landrover off ebay)

nice and high.....my last car used to leak on fast corners.......

the filler is as tight to the inside as i could get it.....all i need is a gasket for the filler tube where it comes through the body on the wing......anyone got one?

been looking for rear lights despite having more than one set at home......but i want every light on my car to be LED's the headlights might be an issue......but i am hopeful i can resolve even them...

but i found these lights...

the ones on the right obviously.......

not the round ones i was looking for but they reminded me of something......they were also only £25 the pair delivered.

I fitted these:

some progress......

the boot lid was a little warped and it wanted leveling. so i fiberglassed a length of dowel to the underside whilst a length of 2X1 timber was attached to the top side once set the 2X1 was removed (and the securing screw holes refilled) and it now sits flat.....

there was still a little warp to the center so i had a spare hinge ....so on it went and its now level.

now i can fit the boot lock assy.......this will be a remote opening boot so in the cockpit there will be a release lever (probably behind the passenger seat) with a second release in case of cable snapping under the boot floor.

whilst the tank is not fitted and the floor of the boot is still missing it has been very easy to fit it all but it has taken two days to do. why because when i started to look at a site for the boot lock it turned out there was a lock already under a load of filler......and yet another bad repair..... the rear section was cracked top to bottom where the lock was and covered over with a skim of filler, it was only the old lock holding it all together....all that needed fiberglassing then the lock could be fitted.

and so the to the catch......

the boot lid was a bit heavy to release properly so i added a spring so now it works great........

done a fair bit this weekend but not much to show, but the tank has been sealed inside and out .....out because there was a lot of spare sealer after the insides was done and it was going off so i thought why not? 

i also gave it a bit of a spray over in black......

before i got rid of my old bonnet from the green phaeton i decided to keep a souvenir........the bonnet bulge i made to clear the pinto oil filler cap. I dont think it looks too bad, especially when i get it fitted fully..........

anyway it will be nice to have an obvious reminder of my first S1....

A while since i have posted to here, but its all been jobs that you dont see and preparation work.

the bonnet now has the catch and release cable fitted, the bonnet catch is under the passenger side dash....as below

the boot catch is now fitted to the drivers side floor, it has a drilling to let me padlock the boot closed......

the front end is really annoying me and getting it all level with the bonnet closed is proving to be a pain in the bum...the spoiler will be slightly out with reference to the road surface.

i have fitted and secured the bonnet teardrop from my old car.....a reminder of it.....

the more i see those 14" wellers on the car the better i like them......the Legerra might get the alloys i bought for this car. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service