DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also have a crossflow manifold....you can see how it matches to the zetec manifold. Have a spare car somewhere as well...it's an option.

Are you intending add short runners and turn that plate into an adaptor so that you can fit the crossflow manifold and carb?

No I have a plate for either throttle bodies or the crossflow manifold.....the one I have made is for the fuel injection.

Made some runners for the manifold....and welded them onto the manifold plate.

Then I got some 1mm sheet steel and bent into a 4" X 4" tube for the plenum. ......only it's a bit big....3x4 might be better......bum.

Inlet manifold just about done...

Another view...

Rover sinal red......because it's all I had in my cupboard. ....

With the throttle body fitted...to show you how it fits.....

And in the engine bay......

Very interesting, Dave. It might have looked better in matt black so it didn't show the imperfections so much. How did you keep the flange flat as you did all that welding? How rigid does it seem?

Yeah black is what i wanted....red is what i had.....the manifold flange plate is a little distorted as its only 2-3mm thick but it seems to bolt up square to the plastic injector plate. Danny used even thinner steel and had similar results, but it works with out any issues. i have since found an adaptor laser cut flange in 5mm steel that would have been better for me. but hey ho....

the 4" X 4" tube i made was way too big....so i tried to adapt it, but even at 3 X4 it was too big so i made another tube at 3" X 3" and that was a little too big but close enough.....i also have had to angle the plenum chamber slightly across the engine bay to clear the alternator.....

the idle speed control valve is just beside the brake master cylinder and still needs a little work, i dont know if i should take the air supply for it from the inlet pipe in front of the throttle body or via a short pipe and its own small air filter.......either will work.

the plenum chamber has gone through a whole series of modifications to get to where it is now. and in the end i made two. it could have been three, but if this one works then it will do. i planned for the air intake to go over the top of the forward chassis frame and down in front of the radiator.......it however would have to been reduced in height by another 1/2" at least, and would have been an even bigger pain to make. as well as secure against vibration. the rubber air hose from various scrap Fords is too big to fit between the bonnet and the chassis rail. To get the hose to fit under the chassis rail and not foul anything else it ended up going across the front of the engine and with the air filter (cone type ...when i get round to buying one) it will be behind the radiator but low down, hopefully it will get relatively cool air.

if i were to make another one i would get the 3" box tube i made with the weld line along the bottom and not the top like i have done here......(never thought about it until after i started cutting out the holes for the tubes to fit to.

It's often the way, that it is only when you had made it that you realise what you should have done. I tend to spend a lot of time thinking about things, and worrying about it, and taking ages to commit to a solution ... and then I still get it wrong! BTW I don't think that the seam on the top looks too bad.

it was intended to be straight but the air tube just didn’t fit over the chassis rail.....i also had to to reduce the height at the forward end as well (it fouled the bonnet when it was closed...) and angle it to the left and down......it was several days work.

I do the same James......it has to be right in my head before i make a start, but often the best solution is to just get stuck in.....

Excuse my ignorance, but are the injectors already at the head, or do you fit them in the tubes on the plenum? Heath Robinson? Who needs him? I'm intrigued Dave, good to see it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service