DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

just an hour or so in the garage tonight.....as i have to go to work again tomorrow...:-(

but it occurred to me to do this.

and ....

it came to me, that if i refit my gear box it will have to balance on my jack until i get the engine refitted so i thought i would weld a bracket to the top of the gearbox and drill a hole in the new cross brace  and use some shackles to support the box until the engine is refitted.

Well this last week has seen all sorts of jobs finished, the car now has a full set of new brake pipes. it also now has the front suspension fitted, a quick check of the geometry gives me somewhere around 8-10 degrees castor and -0.5 degrees camber. the castor seems high but on such a light car it will be ok. besides it is still adjustable to a small degree. but for further adjustment of the camber may well need new brackets making as there was a small error in drilling the wishbone mount holes :-(

and i couldn't resist this pic of the bonnet back in place, besides the positioning of the new bonnet release catch needed sorting.

well i am knackered.....its been a busy weekend. i have made the new scuttle section and it fits under the scuttle/dash section rather than on top of it as before. I have also made an inspection panel to get to the clutch pedal cable connection rather than struggling under the dash as i have had to do in the past.

and the scuttle /dash fits like this...the two holes in the rectangular cut out is for my bonnet catch to bolt too.....

the re-profiling of the cockpit opening can be seen clearly here. i still haven't decided what to do with the dash yet.

the two colours on the scuttle reflect the difference in the paints i ave bought over the years, it also marks the line where the scuttle sides will be modified to provide a better sealing edge for the door.

Another early finish yesterday and a late start today (10:00) so a bit more done to the S1. I have been working on the cockpit opening and getting it ready for trimming. so i have made up the door opening capping's. This was done by cutting 8 lengths of 3mm ply with the grain running width wise and putting 4 each to the door top and glueing them together and then clamping them while they dry. each of the strips needed trimming by about 8".

but they bend lovely to the door top and will provide a surface to pin the Vinyl to when its fitted and then the door caps will be topped of with ally half round strip.

And.....

Should look quite good when trimmed up!

The triangle bit under the door is going to have an elasticated pocket over it to provide some small storage area for sunglasses and mints etc..

early finish,s and late starts ,,,,,, some one must have a good job ,,,,

I drive chemical tankers started at 05:00 yesterday and finished at 17:00 but todays job was Ex the ship today and i am currently in Livingstone waiting to get tipped, unfortunately they dont have room and i may not get finished until 01:00.....swings and roundabouts..

son in law is on tanks out of  immingham   but he,s away this week working days out of another depot i think he said  workington ??

IsoTank? me i work for Huktra UK ......its a job.

i lost my hgv and psv  in 2009  when i had a ,minor, stroke  never bothered to go through all the medical crap to get them back  dont think i,m fit enough these days ..

I keep chipping away at the S1, the moulded door capping's have been secured and the side panels trimmed to suit, a little more work and its done.

I have laid the old ally capping on top of the new shape door opening, you can see that they are short by about 3". i may put new ones on or extend the ones i have.....

Probably the sierra. but i am hoping that it will be the phaeton

Danny Boswell visited me yesterday and brought me his wiper motor assy for me to look at. it was basically a modified Mondeo system complete. So i was inspired to do some thing similar. A trip to a local breakers got me a complete wiper assy. from a Corsa for £15, so i set about cutting it up and making it fit my car.

I made some tube guides for the scuttle and cannibalised the BMC wiper spindles and the Corsa spindles and welded them together.

It looks like the spindles are opposed to each other but that is for the pictures.

this shows the motor mount it is a plywood reinforcing fibre glassed to the under side of the scuttle with 4 trapped 6mm bolts.

and...

I hope it all works ok otherwise it is several days effort wasted.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service