DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

Went and picked up a Phaeton from Big Vern (Cheers mate!) as a rebuild project. Its an S1 but has some S2 bits from the looks of it like the rear bodywork which has the bulges for spring hangers.

The plan is to strip it back to the bare chassis and then build it up from there, new bushes, calipers etc and a new engine just not sure what yet! It came with some goodies such as some Revolution wheels with yokos, a nice stainless exhaust and a new hood.

Looking forward to getting stuck in. Here's some pics, excuse the quality they're from my phone

Views: 2806

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of DuttonOwners to add comments!

Join DuttonOwners

Comment by Dave Adams on July 11, 2013 at 9:10
Not really Dave.....but its one of them.;-)
Comment by Dave Taylor on July 10, 2013 at 22:44

Dave is this the link you want on TIG welder

Comment by Dave Taylor on July 10, 2013 at 1:02
Got to be this one Dave
Comment by Pete Clayton on July 8, 2013 at 10:12

I'm going to put another plate the full length on the bottom of the bracket Dave

Comment by Dave Adams on July 8, 2013 at 9:00
Pete the axle panhard rod bracket will want some gussets and strengthening to be up to the job. but you know that don't you......?
Comment by Dave Adams on July 8, 2013 at 8:57
To those who think that on a shocker that uses the “pin“ type top mount with rubber bushes to hold it either side of the drilled chassis bracket. that it is a little pedantic to get the shocker mounted square, i can explain....the shocker bottom mount is 90° out to the natural plane of movement for the shocker. as the axleoves up and down it tries to bend the shocker insert, this causes the pin to wear a sideways slot in the shocker top mount. the cure seems to be as pete has done or remake the bottom mount 90° rotated.
i did as pete has done and it reduced the tendancy to “slot“ the top mount to almost zero.
Comment by Pete Clayton on July 7, 2013 at 21:59

Got a bit of work done today, hoped to get more done but progress none the less.

I decided it was going to be easier to cut the shock mountings off the axle and remake them.

Cut the first one off and hung the shock to see where the new mount wanted to be. The shiney part is where I cut the old bracket off, you can see how far out of alignment it was!

Made up a new bracket, one side is longer as i'm also going to add the panhard rod mounting in to it

In place

Next side, exactly the same problem...

Bracket made up and offered in to place

Also looked at mounting the intercooler, think its going to go here for ease of pipe work. Would have like it more to the left but fouls the bonnet then

Comment by Pete Clayton on July 3, 2013 at 22:58

I'm going to have a go at the panhard rod brackets on sunday Dave, will let you know how it goes.

Comment by Dave Adams on July 3, 2013 at 16:38
I have seen 100A tigs do a good job on ally and light stainless so i was interested in seeing what i could get fot C£350-400.
the choice seems quite good.
Comment by Big Vern on July 3, 2013 at 12:29

I'd agree with that Paul,

DC (ferrous metal only) arn't too bad at around £300-£400 but for AC (ally) then anything under a grand should be given a wide berth

© 2022   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service