DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

I still can not keep my Phaeton from missing. I have cleaned all the spark plugs. Adjusted the timing by ear a number of times. Tighten all the bolts. 2 were loose. No help. Checked all the hoses. Cleaned the spark plugs. I tried regapping the points but think I got it wrong. What is the correct points gap? Thanks guys.

Views: 244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

15 thou I believe

I tried regapping the points and now it will not start at all. I gapped at 15 thou no luck. I tried regapping less and more. Still not starting. There is no attempt at the pistons firing. It's like its not getting any spark through the points. Now what did I do wrong?

I checked the wires on the coil.....just fine. Now when I loosened the points they came out by accident. I checked all the wires and they appear to be OK. Now the wire from the coil to the distributor will not come out of the distributor. That could be the problem but I doubt it. 

start from basics James, check the feed to the coil, are you getting a feed, if not  then you have a broken wire between the ign switch and the coil,

Test the points, check the gap, if correct  open the points, remove the condensor wire from the points test to earth, if you get a reading then the condensor has failed,if you get no reading , then test the - on the coil and earth, if you get a reading, the wire between the coil and distributor has broken , no reading, ,the coil has failed.

these steps should tell you where the problem is, 

Thanks for the info guys. I am about to start going thru the things you guys have listed.

Look at spark at the plugs. It should be a fat blue colour. If its yellow suspect the condensor as faulty. Air leaks could still be present. Does it run ok on choke?
Is the distributor clean inside and the rotor arm?

James, is the problem that you have no spark, or that it wont run? 

i'm getting confused 

if its that you have no spark at the  plugs,  i'm assuming that you have spun it with the ht dissy lead to the block?  if you have, and theres no spark, thats the time to test the LT side. 

How can I check if the coil is working? I put the key on and took the end of the coil wire off of the distributor and put it against the engine but no spark."

James, take the Ht lead , the one that goes to the centre of the dizzy cap,  hold that just away from the block  and get someone to spin the engine if the coil is ok, you should get a  blue spark, , if you dont, then thats the time to get testing the LT curcuit. you dont need to put the points wire  against the block,!! just use a curcuit  tester and probe to earth.with the points open,and you should be able to test out the curcuit  

My problem is the new starter is turning over the engine but it was still missing so I regapped the points. They are now correct. I tried a couple of times. The pistons are not firing at all. Its like they are getting no spark. It was suggested I check the coil. I unplugged the coil from the distributor and took the coil wire to try to get some spark. I turned the key to on and put the coil wire against various grounds and got no spark. So I wonder that is the way to check the coil. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service