DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think my battery on the melos is going to end up in the boot , dont know wht  tim dutton made the batt tray so small????

we only need a 12v bike battery as we do not have a  lot of things to run unless u have a alarm

the dash is just about done......just the wipers to sort out, the wiper motor works fine when tested but i couldn't work out the parking switch (not generally a problem) turns out the only diagram i could find didn't show the switch. the motor needs two 5 pin relays wired to the park switch the first one runs low speed through the park switch and the second relay switches between low and high speed, its been a long day figuring it all out i could get low speed and park OR high speed and park but not both from the one switch. it turns out my SPDT switch was the wrong type....i needed an off,on1,on1+2. not the on,off,on type i had, I will do a sketch of the layout later and scan it in.

here is the complete dash......

here is the wiring diagram i worked out for the wipers to work as they should.......

Here is the two relay solution to the wiper park switch.....

I thought i would have the dash in and all finished with the cockpit today, but before i did i put a power supply on the plugs to check everything is OK the wiper motor was secured in place and tested.......and.......crunch squeak and.......so i have spent a large part of the afternoon moving the wiper motor mounts over by 1" and adjusting the push/pull rods (one was too short so needed to be lengthened and the other shortened by the same amount....bummer.

However the new centre dash panel that housed two of my clocks, that i broke fitting earlier in the week has been remade. Rather than painting it black i have made it from a light wood and varnished it, it does look much better i think so..... RESULT!

what do you use for wiring master plugs ???  ,,,,choccy,, blocks ??

Its the system i use. all the chock blocks are colour and number coded, once in place all you need to do is connect them to the ends of the car. very easy to do.

Rewiring almost complete, unfortunately it peeing down and cold so the garage door is shut and now one of my strip lights over the engine bay has packed in, so i have decided to give a rest for the rest of the day. You can see that i am rewiring the car the way i have shown in my article.

Above all the connections to the fuse box.....

A half day doing the dash (in the front room where it was warm and comfortable)  and a bit longer to do the rest of the car.

Getting there Dave. Think i'm going to cheat and buy one of the new kit car looms that comes with everything and just chop it to size.

its actually very easy to do and i give pretty comprehensive instructions in my article..

I used a premier wiring loom and it was pretty much hassle free.

4 years down the line and it's no where near as tidy as it was due to adding accessories and an underbonnet fire in the loom. (my fault not the loom)

Still think they are worth the money if you don't want to worry about old wiring.

As with all wiring, planning and measuring twice is always better than making mistakes and having to do it over.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service