DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sandra's redecorating the down stairs .....which means i am doing a bit as well..... :(  however i have managed to put new shocker mounts on the axle. They have three holes for the shocks so i can alter the ride height by 2"....hope it works out.

this is the progress....

the brake pipe will be replaced its only on at the moment to keep the dirt out.

you can see that the new top trailing arm is at a slightly different angle to the lower one to reflect the different mounting points on the chassis.....

you can see the new shocker mounts and  the three mounting holes to allow some small adjustment to the ride height on my new but non adjustable shockers. they have to angle in and over slightly for all three holes to align with the shocker bottom mount bolts.

The double bracket at the back of the O/S side of the axle is for my panhard rod the top bracket was the first mounting point and the lower was where i decided it needed to be after driving it for a while....both are in fact wrong the ideal position is slightly lower than the top.......so it will do.

looking good Dave, does the panhard rod still clear the fuel tank?

It does.....it sits between the fuel tank and the axle.....it is a “snug“ fit.
That has been sugested but the cockpit tub and some of the bracketry i have removed were all quite weighty so overall there won't be much in it.

this is a bit of a cheat really, but i promised myself that i would have the chassis painted by the end of January......

well the chassis was about 95% there so i painted it in red oxide today as i got home early from work and made use of the time

the front wishbones top mounts will be adjusted at the weekend i cannot afford the Ford set up this year as there is so much to do to fit it.....that said i will need to fit new trunnions and weld the wishbones where the previous owner drilled out the trunnion bolt hole so he could align the swivel joint to the top wishbone. So even though the wishbone was mounted at the correct angle for the "castor angle" the castor was not right because the swivels were "adjusted" to a more vertical angle to match up to the top wishbone mounts......GRRR GRRR. Pillock!

I have been trying to figure a way to keep the triumph front end....for now....but the castor and camber are hopelessly out of true. there is no practical way to use what i have so last night me and my angle grinder had a bit of a session and now the top wishbone mounts and shocker top mount are on the floor consigned very soon to the bin.
the top wish bones will be mounted as the bottom ones are....on bolt on brackets, these will be wider than they need to be so i can adjust both camber and castor. problem sorted.

triumph front end, u tried getting some converturs to change the stud pattern to ford then u could keep it or have u got then allready

i already have ford pattern hub adaptors on my car, i have thought of buying new alloy hubs with ford stud pattern as it will save a huge amount of weight....but at £100 a side with new bearings and studs they are a bit pricey.

Can't you send your Triumph hubs to Pop Browns and have them altered to accept ford wheels

been getting very cold in my garage mucking about with the front suspension mods, i have had a few attempts to get the brackets right before it is all welded into place.......

and..

it is looking OK so far, hopefully all welded up tomorrow.

just a note....the frame that the wishbone brackets are bolted to is also new and will have to be welded in, the wishbone brackets will be adjustable for camber and castor (only so far as the trunion will allow...)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service