DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

right those wheels......0 off set......(ET: 0) just look too wide on the front. (about 1" each side...)

I was very careful to get the track the same front and rear........so i measure the body work......63" wheel arch to wheel arch at the rear. And 59.5" at the front...... 

So my options are to widen the front mud wings. or narrow the front track (modify my newly fabricated front wish bones.......

Opinions?

There's no going back, Dave, so it'll have to be the front wheel arches. If you are doing that then would cycle style wings be an option?

Cycle wings or widen the arches. Nothing to a man of your calibre.

I thought you were going clam shells, why did I think that Dave.

Have you tried it with the RS wheels on...?

Clamp shells and different nose cone......could still be anice option....
Not tried you RS wheels....just might as I think a 20mm off set would be about right onow this car.

I think they are ET15 as they are the capri rims.

looking at my suspension there is at least 1/2"  of adjustment on the track rod ends and the camber adjusters, a modification to my bottom wishbone would reduce the track on the front by an inch at least.......

it might be enough to bring my wheels mostly under the arches both sides......but is there enough of an advantage in reducing the track on the front for it to be worth my while? 

and besides fitting 20-25mm off set wheels will also do the same job......its just that i have 14" ET (0) wheels and dont want to get yet more wheels. dave who i sold my sierra to has 14" (et17) weller wheels so they are out there....i wonder if he would do a swap?

I have some 14 inch wellers but they need refurbing and I'm not sure all four are the same until I've checked them. They are deffo not ET0 though.

Another thought......the cortina uprights and the wishbones needed to fit it all gives less than ideal geometry on the front with the kingpin angle sitting just outside of the tyre tread contact patch......fitting  wheels with a larger ET than 0 will bring the contact patch within or nearer at least to the ideal position......so some offset wheels look like the best option.

You have another alternative, use different off sets front and rear rather than spacers.

Surely the king pin angle doesn't care whether offset wheel or 0 offset with spacer?

I wouldn't be using the wheels up front with spacers....just the rears.
Axe. ...my 14" well established also need a refurbished so it's no hassle for me....

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service