DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you got a support bearing to go in by the UJ on the steering shaft? 

The steering column is supported at three points along its length. ....and the whole thing is very firmly mounted but the steering is smooth with out binding. I have given some thought to a support bearing but decided it was not necessary as it is better mounted than my previous cars and they did well over 50000 miles between them. One just short of 30000 miles with no real problems.

Small problem.....the transmission tunnel was designed around a MT 75 gearbox and i have fitted a Type 9 box and the original starter position mount on the box is bigger (longer) on this bell housing so it needs er.....modifying......angle grinder surgery and mig welder again.....ho hum.

Its always nice to have a reason to get those two out. They're my two favourite toys.

i was offered a type 9 for £50.......

they are easier to get decent gear levers for, they also have a splined tailshaft where as the MT75 needs a splined propshaft on a live axle.......

i still have a MT75, as well as a type 3 and another Type 9, plus a knackered type 2. my type E has been sold to a friend. i have another type 3 to pick up as a spare.....

Oh did i mention that the clarke welder i found and bought for a fiver......it needed a variable resistor to the wire speed and it works fine ....i have been using iit lately. a Clarke turbo 150 TE welder with gas bottle and regulators  for less that £20.........well chuffed.

I hope so....it is my plan to have it ready before then.....

would be nice.......

disagree about the comments about the geaboxes, but I would, seeing I'm using g MT75 :-)) gear lever is a bit further back. Have to keep the doughnut, gearbox mount needs moving, prop is now land rover part, straight swap!  But, it's a better box :-))

the only box that puts the gear lever in a "new " position is the type 2 as it is a shorter box than the other ford box's there are differences in the gearbox mounts (at least 3 different positions) and the transit gearbox;s have no tail shaft extension for the gear lever....so it can be well forward....

the MT75 box has nice ratios (well a few of them do ....there are lots of ratio sets available)

I have a cosworth box, hole is no good for selecting 1_3_5 the throw is different. But the engine is going further back so another hole will be needed. Transit box has lever further forward.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service