DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Call me cynical but my view of events is
Phaeton gets crashed an written off
"new" bonnet is sourced an goes on the car
Now that car must be ttw cos that's on the bonnet

If you have/had the rear number plate that would be good cos there. wasn't one when I bought it ! Just brand new factory fresh grp
Car was also hit from behind,no chassis damage front or rear !

just describing what i have, my car green  was advertised on ebay for all to see. and sold. Dvla will confirm this.

my car was immediately presented for inspection and i have done everything above board at all times to ensure my car is fully legal. all of this before i found out who used to own it. that is why it has taken me 4 years to get the paperwork from the DVLA almost an extra year since the log book first arrived with the wrong engine number

as for cynical....how about this..... one guy sells abandoned project car to some willing punter in another town. its well advanced but he has just lost interest in it...but forgets to hand over log book claiming its "lost".. partly because he likes to "collect" the log books of his previous cars. the new owner cannot register it because he is looking for a modern chassis number not the one it actually has but he has the plates it came with and does not look deeper into it because its a lot of work and he's out of his depth. he advertises it as an abandoned project on gumtree. however the original owner buys cheap cars where he can some with paperwork some with out...always handy to have V5's for a kit car kicking about perhaps he sees them as a steady income i dont know. log books being often the most valuable part of a dutton.

now i dont know if this has happened or not, but i buy an obviously old long abandoned car with a seized solid engine displaying number plates it also has a chassis number readable under all the rust. the Vosa inspector checks it over and is more than convinced that the car is of the age it seems to be. he recommends what is to be done and i carry out his instructions.

oh and the story about the number plate to the rear was a lie.....you went for it (stated in my rebuild posts as only having the front plate.) cheers you have just confirmed the london guys story to me.

odd that you remember that it never came with one.....handy for me as well.

the VOSA inspector noted that there was no rear plate .....he said it didnt matter. the chassis had a unique number totally unknown to DVLA they were happy it was a genuine number and the car was of the correct age.

as am i...

Your rebuild thread is for a phaeton s1,as I previously stated both the s1,s I have owned I still own I'm not likely to think its my Malaga b+ am I ?
Your right I have a lot of cars an probaly sold over 200 so numbers become a bit vague to say the least
Ncl19v was my first Dutton I had when I was 16 an I know that number other that that haven't got a clue !
Your adamant your car is a phaeton yes ? TTW was first registered on 01/04/77 ,the phaeton wasn't avalible then so how does that work ???

it doesn't nor did it  have a Malaga B plus chassis number.

I dont know rob.....but i have a long documented proof of my rebuilding the car as bought its been a long rebuild and at every stage with the DVLA approval. its been inspected and found to be genuine. i have even added extra hurdles to ensure its bona-fides.

It would seem that your car is as likely to be the incorrectly registered one as any (if mine is possibly incorrect, a point i am not convinced of), i still have the reg plate mine came with. its an old number plate....why would it have a "new" bonnet with old plates on it if someone didn't belive it to be the right number plate? where would they get it from? and if its a Malaga it would be a malaga bonnet surely? oh its been replaced for a new one......like the one on my current car.....hmmm  if anything odd has gone on its not been by me but a previous owner. and how would someone guess my registration? and who would sell a bonnet with the number plates of a car they were keeping? a new bonnet at that?

were this car a "Q" plate i am sure it would not even be an issue i am sure.

there is a lot that is not adding up here. and had paper work been correctly dealt with as required by the law there would not now be this confusion over the car.....your Malaga sounds as dodgy as any i know of and as equally legit.

Duttons are often incorrectly recorded and i have been busy checking all of my details to ensure mine is right. i am convinced it is.

far from my car needing inspection i would ask yours is! Mine is legit...i have proof hard won over the years. all this effort was for a car i started to rebuild only after it was inspected and i was told to rebuild it and present it for MOT when ready.

my car has been found to be of a genuine age and legal.

Its not too hard to remember when you buy a Dutton with a brand new rear end,how many have you ever seen come up for sale ? Rear end still hasn't got lights,body fixings,number plate its still virgin as the day I bought the car apart from the filling in owner no1 did

Your "story" from the London guy ? Was that related to him from the " geezer" in Essex ???
Maybe he will be able to tell you the story of how you get a phaeton registered at the start of 77 ???
best thing as far as I'm concerned is that owner 2 lives down the rd from me and can confirm what I have posted
Random guy from gumtree doesn't cut it for me

Gentlemen, I wasn't going to comment, instead I would like to suggest that 'discussing' this on the public forum will not benefit anyone and may in fact prove to be detrimental to others in a similar position in the future. 

I would also like to mention that if members were more forthcoming about vehicle details this would be less likely to become such a problem.

Don't worry both our cars and paperwork is being inspected once the case files from the defunct local dvla office are brought out of storage
How would you suggest mine is incorrectly registered since my papertrail goes back 1977 and I have had the logbook and car since 99 ?
The lady I spoke to today admitted they made a mistake and its noted in the file that no letter was sent out to me as it should of been when you applied for the v5
The bonnet I sold wasn't new it had been on the car for 4 years and had seen some use,I got a brand new front end and sold the bonnet "as is" lights indicators everything inc the number plate
Note-if your doing a "ringer" or something dodgy you tend to hang on to no plates an vin plates an stuff not sell it off !

So how do you explain how my car came to have all the correct details available?

My car has been inspected and found to be an age appropriate vehicle of the correct type for its age.

Your details weren't correct
The vin number on the v5 has always been correct (or at least always been the same since it was first issued in 77 ) and is b***, your logbook is correct for a phaeton but the car never was a phaeton

The point is my car has been officially inspected and approved. That was the point of my initial post. It's taken almost 4 years. 

DVLA this morning have confirmed that my car is legit and to tax it for road use as soon as I am able. So I am past caring.  The car has a legal VOSA inspection it apparently won't need another.  The error if any resides with DVLA 

I have not now or ever tried to subvert the legal process nor do I condone the "ringing" of any car. If the DVLA are correct  the chassis number started BT. you say B....in which case everyone is wrong. Either DVLA have given you a document which does not match the records or dupicated two cars on differing chassis numbers. 

If my Phaeton is "wrong" for a B or BT chassis number so is your Malaga

which should have been M*** or M***B

I find it a little hypocritical to claim my car is more "wrong" than yours when each is equally likely a legit car. Mine however was inspected in accordance with the rules and I have a legal log book for it.

I don't want to fall out over this but I have done everything asked of me to verify my cars bona-fide's. ....

I'm not going to fall out either and dvla will sort it out
Not accused you of ringing though you seem to be implying that of me
Just look at it from my point of view . I have had the car and log book for over 17years,the owner before me had it 6 months an no problems
You have had a 4 year fight to prove other wise
I have had my son email me a photo of the v5 110% my car hasn't got a bt vin number !
There is a reason why/how my chassis number is how it is,that has been told to the dvla

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service