DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

Well here we go, chassis fabrication work has now been completed and as you can see from the pic below has been stripped back down for final welding and capping of any open box sections, this will start tonight, the roll bar will be cut off again (only tacked on) and sent away for chroming. Rivnuts will be fitted along the bottom chassis rail for the mounting of the side skirts ( stolen the idea from our German friend Jorg )

Two coats of POR15 will then be applied ...........

Views: 1981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought of some thing similar for mine.....and decided it was a job too far for this year. the brace at the front of the scuttle was also an option as i want my scuttle top flat to stop water puddling in the middle.......however since i moulded the air tube to the demisters to the underside of the scuttle it does not want to straighten out. bummer.

Are you going for minimal clocks or clock heaven?

P.S. you going to french polish the dash or varnish?

Clock heaven Dave, got full set of clocks from a Lotus Esprit, just need some new chrome bezels.  Going carbon fibre on the dash face, sent off for some samples of the 3M stuff, cant afford the real thing .... there is an off cut of pucker carbon fiber sheet on ebay for £35.00 but it is 28mm too short :-(

that sticky back carbon fibre look-a-like stuff,, is said to be ,brilliant,,, a lad (zakboy) on ,,manky monkey motors,,, use,s it on trike mudgaurds and bit,s with some very smart results,, he says the very cheap stuff is just about as good as the expensive 3M, stuff

could you not frame that carbon with a polished alli trim and make it work for you

Progress report .....  with all the extra bits of metal for the removeable screen scuttle now welded and painted with POR15 base coat, tonight I started to apply the POR15 Tie Coat, which is basically a high build undercoat prep, before the top coat goes on .... Hmmmm getting the feeling that this is a bit of a rip off !!!  but having started I may as well finish it properly ... with the three coats of paint, it wont rust from the outside. Mind you it will probably rust from the inside and I will be left driving a POR15 chassis made from paint !!!!! :-)

I have had a bit of 4mm alluminium bent 90 degrees to fit (i hate painting) across the width of the chassis in front of the the scuttle, this will be a (i hate painting) permanent fixture making up the top of the fire wall, and blanking off the fornt of the scuttle, it will make a usefull shelf in the engine bay for fixing things to, don't know what though, as the fuse and electrical board and ECU will be mounted on a drop down (I hate painting) plate above the passenger foot well.

One of my pet hates is cluttered wireing, so we wont be seeing many under my bonnet.

By the way .........  I HATE FECKIN PAINTING  

Me too Paul....So i sprayed mine with Ronseal metal paint i used 2L but it was quick and easy even if i did waste loads.....got a good finish though, even the MOT guy commented. I figure what ever my chassis was painted with before (probably only black enamel) it had lasted 30+ years so any good modern paint will see the car out.

This is paint coat number 2 of 3, the tie coat, a high build primer that is required to cover the black rust preventative stuff. Good job its grey .... easy to see bits I missed !!!

Looking good paul.

Well thats it !!!  all chassis painting finished ..... yahooooo (have I mentioned that I hate painting)  

Is now time to make templates for the; bulk head, floor pans, and trans tunnel, and cut the forms from the ally sheet purchased from flebay. Got a few hundred rivets,  purchased from the workshop supplies van.  I now feel like it is all starting to come together, can't wait to start bolting bits on permanently. 

Been having a riviting time in the workshop this evening .... floor pans cut, beaten into shape and riveted in place with a goodley bead of polyurethane sealer. Bulk head cut out and ready to be drilled .... tomorrow nights job :-)

looking good as always.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service