DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

Well here we go, chassis fabrication work has now been completed and as you can see from the pic below has been stripped back down for final welding and capping of any open box sections, this will start tonight, the roll bar will be cut off again (only tacked on) and sent away for chroming. Rivnuts will be fitted along the bottom chassis rail for the mounting of the side skirts ( stolen the idea from our German friend Jorg )

Two coats of POR15 will then be applied ...........

Views: 1981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are some big feck off spacers! Are you using the original inner tub Paul?

Yes, but with a few modifications so it will take wider custom made seat sqaubs, to make it more comfortable to sit in. Through out the build, I have wanted to keep to the original look of the S2 ........ with a few subtle changes ;-)

I guess that it will also keep weight down using the original tub. The transmission tunnel is too high on mine and someone has done some dodgy repairs with some sheet metal!

One of the mods I made when I built the bulk head was to give me maximum room available on top of the Trans tunnel, so I had to rework the seating tub to be able to graft it to the new front part of the tunnel. There are several long slits in the seating tub that will be glassed in when it is fitted for the final time, so it wont be coming out again with out being cut.  

Yeah I reckon I could easily loose 3 inches off the top of the transmission tunnel. Looking forward to watching it get re-assembled, am a bit jealous I would like to be at the stage of bolting it all back together!

This is the electrical panel that the engine ECU and main electrical board will be bolted to. I have made it so it hinges down into the passanger footwell for easy access to the fuses. Its made from an off cut of the Alupanel and given a little more strength from two bits of ally angle riveted down each side.

Its this sort of thought and attention to detail that make the car, good work!

Yup, all you need to do is add the wires, even comes with a very nice wiring diagram, and all connections are numbered on the module. Simples as a little fury rat is fond of saying :-)

All that work and now Im going to junk it GRRRR !!!!    Dont panic, Not the project, just the rear radius arms. Having got to the stage this morning where I was about to permanantly fit the seating tub, I have had second thoughts about using rose joints on the chassis end of the four arms. Three good reasons, 1. I can't see them lasting that long, as there is slight sideways movement in the balls already.   2. They will be a pig of a job to change when all is built up around them. and 3. they will transmit an awful lot of road noise to the chassis.  So re-design time. I think I will use radius arms from Rally Design, they have one end that is bushed and I can weld in some new thredded ferrules for rose joints on the axle end of the arms. Problem is I'm going to have to bend the arms to the correct angle to match up with the brackets welded to the axle tubes. Who ever said kit car building was easy :-)

Going too see if I can get away with one bend, providing the rose joint will work with in tolerence, but I somehow doubt it :-(

What spacers have you at the ball joints? Beveled spacers increase the useable angle.

Ahh, thats what I need, they have a much greater angle. Should be able to get away with just one bend using them, will see if McGill Motor Sports do them, they do just about everything. Cheers Derek.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service