DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

Well here we go, chassis fabrication work has now been completed and as you can see from the pic below has been stripped back down for final welding and capping of any open box sections, this will start tonight, the roll bar will be cut off again (only tacked on) and sent away for chroming. Rivnuts will be fitted along the bottom chassis rail for the mounting of the side skirts ( stolen the idea from our German friend Jorg )

Two coats of POR15 will then be applied ...........

Views: 1981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you can't get enough angled, it could also be easier to replace the diff mounting brackets, to incorporate an angle, rather than to use bent radius arms. The bend causes a weakness and you have to use heavier gauge material because of it.

McGill Motor Sports do those wide angle rose joints, +/- 26 degrees, and that will be perfect, and bending the arm is not a problem with hydraulic mandrel bender. 

But have decided to leave as is for the moment, after talking with one of the Dutton Guru's this afternoon, he thinks I am being a bit paranoid. So the seating tub is now in and glassed. :-)  

One of the first jobs undertaken, when I stripped the car down back in October 2008, was to refurbish the Type 14 calipers, they were fully stripped down, shot blasted and then painted with Eastwood Brake Caliper Coating, and then rebuilt using all new parts. Happy with my work, they were then wrapped in bubble wrap and put away until needed. Got them out of the cupboard today, unwrapped them to find rust coming through the nice new paint in several places on both calipers, Grrrrrrrr

They must have got damp somehow over the years in storage. Start again ...... stripped em down, shot blasted em and this time used caliper paint with a stainless steel pigment. Nothin like having to do work twice :-((  On the up side, the new colour matches my nice new stainless steel brake hoses ;-)

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, forgot that the flywheel sensor fits into a mounting plate which is bolted behined the flywheel, didn't realise that it was not in its place intill I had fitted the, flywheel, clutch, gearbox and starter motor and was fitting all the sensors......oh B*ll*cks.  Off it all comes again.

Sorry Paul, i know i shouldnt but reading this made me feel a bit more happier, not because you forgot something, but because it reminded me that we are all failible . and that we all occationally miss up ,at least your engine wasnt installed when you found the sensor, that would have been a right kick in the teeth.

Got a bit done tonight !!!!   Engine in & N/S front suspension on. Full update on Mr G's over the weekend.

Update on G's if you want something to read chaps

http://www.godspeed.me/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1055&p=26...

I will measure it tomorrow, I think the box casing is the same as any 5 speed type 9, but the difference with the one from the 2.8 Capri is that the first motion shaft and release bearing collar, are longer. I had to buy a 25mm spacer to go between the box and bell housing and then using a straight edge across the front face of the bell housing ( part that mates to the block ) you cut the spigot nose level. Failure to do this will result in the longer spigot nose touching the end of the crankshaft and fusion welding its self to the crank ....... not easy to get to bits if that happens!!!!      

Anothe update on Mr G's

Build update on Mr G's

Phaeton Rebuild

Feels like I'm making serious progress now, having spent the weekend concentrating on the bodywork. The front spoiler was just fixed on with small pop rivets and then the heads were then covered in filler, as you can imagine the whole lot has been moving around with the inadequate fixing method, so it has now been glassed on properly. The holes where the old spring hangers protruded through the rear valence, have been matted over and shaped to match the rest of the rear end, and most of the star cracks have been ground out ....... I say most, because every time I go back and look at it again, I see some that I have missed. The scuttle has been filled and sanded down twice now and is ready for the primer, I am particularly pleased with the way that the wood I grafted on to make the dash surround, has blended in perfectly with the scuttle, it should look great when finished.

I will put the pics in my post on Mr G's next time I do an update.    

why put everything on  MR G,s and not on here ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service