DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

Went and picked up a Phaeton from Big Vern (Cheers mate!) as a rebuild project. Its an S1 but has some S2 bits from the looks of it like the rear bodywork which has the bulges for spring hangers.

The plan is to strip it back to the bare chassis and then build it up from there, new bushes, calipers etc and a new engine just not sure what yet! It came with some goodies such as some Revolution wheels with yokos, a nice stainless exhaust and a new hood.

Looking forward to getting stuck in. Here's some pics, excuse the quality they're from my phone

Views: 2779

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of DuttonOwners to add comments!

Join DuttonOwners

Comment by Pete Clayton on March 20, 2014 at 8:15

Thanks Paul will make sure I do that!

Dave, its going to have a bolt in harness bar which will hopefully stiffen the rear end a bit

Comment by Dave Adams on March 20, 2014 at 3:56

i would also look to fitting some sort of brace between the shocker tops on the rear at the same time as this stiffens up the rear end quite considerably. however the room you will have to fit it will be limited....

Comment by Paul Sheridan on March 19, 2014 at 23:31

Word of advice at this stage Pete, fix the seating tub and the boot section together and onto the chassis at the same time, I fitted the seating tub first and glassed it to the trans tunnel, along with rivets into the gearbox cross sections, but found when I came to fit the rear, that the seat tub had distorted and would not then line up with the top edge of the rear section where it rivets on, there was a 1 inch difference in height, so I had to cut and re glass the back rest in order to get it to fit. So rivet the seat tub along the rear edge to the boot section and then fix the tub everywhere else. Just saves a bit of extra work.    

Comment by Pete Clayton on March 19, 2014 at 22:20

A couple of hours spent this evening

Floor panel cut for the passenger side

These bits will be bent back up and attached to the bottom rail of the transmission tunnel

Lastly I hacked a bit more out of the seat tub and tried it in place

Comment by Pete Clayton on March 17, 2014 at 8:28

I've got enough for the floor and transmission tunnel. Might need a little bit more to finish inside of the foot wells but I should be able to obtain some more off cuts

Comment by Dave Adams on March 17, 2014 at 8:02

do you have enough ally sheet to finish it all, or will you have to find some more?

Comment by Pete Clayton on March 16, 2014 at 22:12

A bit more work done on the bulkhead

Started looking at the floor

Comment by Pete Clayton on March 6, 2014 at 23:52

I've finally started attaching bits that won't be removed again!

Comment by Pete Clayton on February 15, 2014 at 19:01

Some progress made on the car. I had an S bend put in the clutch pedal to move it over slightly. Drilled the holes for the clutch cable and made sure that was ok. Brian came down this morning and welded the plate in along with bracket for the accelerator, handbrake lever mounts and a lower mount for the intercooler. 

The accelerator pedal may need shortening and a bit of tweaking but hard to know until its hooked up and the floor is in. I'm pleased to have it all pretty much sorted though as its caused me a few headaches.

After that I got a bit bored and thought i'd chop about the impreza scoop that needs to go on the bonnet, it was way too long!

Just needs fibreglassing back together now

I've got a day off this week so hoping to give the chassis another lick of paint, once thats all done I can start riveting some panels on and making up brake lines :-)

Comment by Pete Clayton on January 15, 2014 at 23:06

Just to show I do still have the car I thought i'd best give a bit of an update. The chassis is now all painted but needs another coat still. I'm a bit fed up painting at the moment so have started making some of the panels for the bulkhead, i'm using the old side panels for these. I'll run a flap disc over them to clean them up when they are all made. Had a good result on some alloy sheet for the floor, was given a sheet of 1700mm x 1200m x 1.6mm. I've also bought some individual floor mounted pedals, looks like these are the answer to my pedal problems. I need to bend the clutch pedal to the left an inch or so to give some space between clutch and brake pedal.

© 2022   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service