DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

some pics of the rebuild process,

the top trailing arm bracket is broke......

the diff is sloping back a little (looking up) so that will need sorting.......

As you can see there isn't a lot of bracing in an S1 chassis, that will be sorted.

Views: 22548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you have a means to get a tacho output direct from the plugs than it doesn't matter which ECU you use.

As I think you already pointed out the focus engine / 60pin ECU  only has one temperature sensor and that is needed for the ECU. It's no good piggy backing the connection either as it will mess with the readings. However it's easy to swap the thermostat housing for one with a temp sensor in it, and use that to drive the instruments. On our 104pin version we had to use a 'stat housing with two sensors as there isnt one in the head itself as ther is in the Focus type.

This is the thread where most of this stuff come from btw http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/47/viewthread.php?tid=179921 . I am spegru on there.....

Yup have that one.....my handle on most (all) other forums is snowy.
It is fun sorting it all out.....knowing what I do now it seems that ALL that is needed to fit the focus ECU to a kit car is the engine, ecu, with matching key, sensor ring and OBD plug.keep loom from ecu with the plug box near it (15' away) and cut the loom between the black 16 pin plug and the fuse box. And keep the battery earth connection that connects to the part of the loom you have removed..
you would only have about 11 connectors to make to relays fuses and it's job done.

snowy2........snowy? poxy phone predictive text.....

a quick update....

you can see here some of the issues i have been having.....this little clump is the "earth" wires......all different colours.

and these are the ignition live "common" wires......

anyway since the loom was stripped of all the insulation i laid it out in the route i want.......only one connection plug needed lengthening, the throttle position sensor. most of the others needed shortening. the fuse + relay box for the engine management will sit on the scuttle next to the pedal box....

this is the Lambda, crank sensor, and coil wiring......as well as the power supply and earth wires. they will be routed under the coil pack....

the ECU is under the dash, and the PATS sensor is now wired up, i just need to decide where the ignition key will live. I also have kept the OBD plug and it is also ready to be found a home.

i have a few things to work out but the engine electrics are done.

i am producing a few drawings so that anyone thinking of doing the same will have an easier time of it.

I have been having a number of wiring issues so you drawings may help.

Jim......have a look at this...wiring your car article

its what i wrote a few years ago......may help you.

Thanks Dave, It may help but there is no defined color coding on my wiring which really helps to create the nightmare.

I really lack the skill to rewire the old girl. What I am planning is to shorten the tangled up wires, remove all the black tape wrapping and putting in all new connectors. lol, All the wires are wrapped together in the black electrical tape.  I have started to remove the black tape wrapping. The tape has really broken down with old age so it is hell to remove. The wiring is my major problem on the old girl.

I have designed the ecu fitting as a separate loom so that it can be fitted to any existing car with out needing a full car rewire. The ecu needs 5 relays and something like 6 - 8 fuses.
I have redesigned my wiring diagrams to make everything earth switched and on relays and that needs about a dozen relays......I think....will count them later. This will allow very small power switches to control everything.
The issue I have is the cost...the cheapest method of relay holders and fuse box comes in at £72 without the wires.....a modular fuse/relay box works out at close to £100 plus wires....

Oi ...... royalties are due if you use the Dutton Hinged Fuse Board System  ;-))))

This is what I have so far..for the 60 pin ecu....

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service