DuttonOwners

Dutton Kit Cars and their owners

Well here we go, chassis fabrication work has now been completed and as you can see from the pic below has been stripped back down for final welding and capping of any open box sections, this will start tonight, the roll bar will be cut off again (only tacked on) and sent away for chroming. Rivnuts will be fitted along the bottom chassis rail for the mounting of the side skirts ( stolen the idea from our German friend Jorg )

Two coats of POR15 will then be applied ...........

Views: 1981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bulkhead, battery shelf and trans tunnel in, sealed and rivited, even managed to get the holes for the steering column and master cylinder in the right places   :-)

Awesome job, that's going to be a class built car.

This months parcel turned up today   ( have to buy one major comonent each month, depending on available funds ;-0  ) 

A package from Car Builder Solutions, 1 pack of variouse size grommets, some samples of rubber sealing strips and a nice shiny electrical  fuse board assembly.  Who needs Christmas ???

OOOOPS     No new frock for her indoors this month ......... Tee Hee

CBS , use them myself,  plus they are not to far from me either at staplehurst    any idea when you hope to get it to one of the shows? With the amount of cars now under restoration  i  think in a few years we are going to need a larger tent  whats the largest showing of Duttons so far?   my aim is first  to have it at detling  if not next year, the year after, and do stoneleigh again hopefully next year, but failing that, the next one  , if i have no unforeseen problems  i think i can do it with in that time span  

All being well Martin, it will be at Stoneleigh next year ..... :-)

And hopefully so will mine,  , not on a trailer in bits  with a sign  saying spares or repair before some wag posts that,     Ade had better start to get his finger out and find that reg  , or i will do some cloning of my own , now who else on here  has a melos  and is looking the other way  i,ve got my cordless ready  lol   

Update and a few piccs.

Getting the engine ready to go into the chassis, the one job that still had to be done was, to site and fit the alternator, I had already changed to plan B and that was, to fit it on the exhaust side (left hand side on Zetec) due to the fact that it got in the way of the steering shaft on the other side. The usual place to fit it, is beneath the water pump outlet, but this would foul the engine mounting chassis rail, so it has to go above the water pump ....... this means that the back of the alternator will be very close to the exhaust manifold :-(   made bracket, offered up, NO GOOD, tooooo close!  so back to plan A ... start again.

The good thing about the Zetec is that there is an abundance of threaded fixing holes on either side of the block, so a bracket was soon made to sit the alternator on, I clamped the front pulley to a straight edge, that was in turn clamped to the crankshaft pulley, so alighning the two pulleys perfectly. Then made a couple of lugs that were tacked in place. The adjuster I am using comprises of two small rose joints, one left hand thread and one right hand thread with a short bar in between. I made a fixing lug that bolts to another handy hole in the cylinder head ..... and hay prestow, alternator fitted.

Will worry about the steering shaft later   :-)

Spent a few hours making some bits today,  a bracket to mount the brake reservoir onto the bulkhead and a pair of clamp plates to secure the screen scuttle. Seems rather trivial, but every little bit done is one step closer to being ready for Stoneleigh !!! 

I just need to get a spiggot bearing for the flywheel and then the engine, gear box and rear axle can go on for the final time. 

Is it a standard spigot bearing like every other ford ever built?

NO! Ade, anything pre '66 is likely to have a bronze bush!

For the zetec you need Ford part 82ET-7600-DA if your getting one from the Ford dealer then tell them the FINIS code instead which is 1596468 will save the hassle of having to tell them the VIN number blah blah.

Note: Make sure you fit it the correct way round as there is a dust seal on one side only, this faces outward to the clutch/gearbox.

ha last time i set foot in a ford dealer's i ased for a part and the parts bitch said no chans then worked off as you can gess it went down like a led baloon.

Starting to come together now, got the rear axle and suspension bolted on tonight, painted the outside of the seating tub, so that is ready to be fitted and I can then run the fuel and brake lines.....

RSS

© 2024   Created by Tim Walker (The Bodger).   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service